Wellington and the South Island, New Zealand

Wellington and the South Island New Zealand,

Whilst in Wellington, I had the opportunity to discuss older person care with the heads of Aged Care and Aged Concern, although this was not related to the prison setting and dementia in particular, it was a very interesting discussion and all learnt from each other.

My second visit this week was to Rimutaka Prison, which is the largest prison in New Zealand. However, on this occasion I was there to high independence unit, which provides 24 hour healthcare to prisons by nurses and healthcare assistants. I had a fascinating visit. I also had time to be shown round their healthcare services and the perimeter of the prison - the space is unbelievable.

From my visits to the two prisons in New Zealand I have developed a real sense of how the prisons in this country differ from those in England and Wales and how we can learn from each other. I am almost looking forward to coming home and discussing and developing these thoughts.

I now have a couple of days annual leave, so I have been taking some time to travel to the South Island, and the scenery is spectacular.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alzheimer's Disease International Conference 2018 - first day

STTI Congress, Melbourne